Here is the Saltimbocca alla Romana the original recipe, handed down for generations and easy to find in the roman restaurants.
There are some variants that include the use of flour or rolling the meat slices, but these are not the original recipe.
- 4 slices of calf meat.
- 4 slices of Parma ham.
- 30 gr of butter
- ½ glass of white wine
- salt and pepper
- Remove any nerves from the slices of meat and beat them with a meat mallet.
- Wash the sage, be careful not to break the leaves.
- On each slice of meat, put a slice of parma ham and over a leaf of sage, block them with a toothpick.
- In a pan, melt the butter and whip the saltimbocca a couple of minutes for each side.
- add the white wine and simmer it until reduced.
- Cook the saltimbocca for about 10 minutes, adding salt and pepper and wetting them with the cooking sauce from time to time.