The roasted vegetables ricotta panino. A tasty bite for a picnic or “al fresco” lunch.
- 4 cups mixed vegetables* – cut into not too thin slices
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbs honey – or to taste
- 4 small to medium ciabatta (or a loaf of crusty Italian bread cut into four 4 or 5-inch pieces)
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper –to taste
- ½ cup ricotta
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- In a bowl mix your selection of cut vegetables, (such as zucchini, red, yellow or orange peppers, onions) with the extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Transfer the mix to a roasting pan and cook on the top shelf of the oven for about 15 minutes, turning a few times.
- They should be slightly crisp.
- In the meantime, make a balsamic reduction by mixing the vinegar and honey together in a small saucepan and bring slowly to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer for about 20 minutes until the vinegar thickens and is reduced to almost half.
- Let cool before using so as not to cook the vegetables more.
- Spread two tablespoons of ricotta on each panino.
- Spread ¼ of each of the cooked vegetables on top of each ricotta coated panino.
- Drizzle about one tablespoon of balsamic reduction over the vegetables, or to taste.
- Press the bread firmly or place a heavy fry pan on top and press down lightly.
NOTE: Best serve warm or at room temperature.