The Italian Ricotta Puffs Kisses. These baci di ricotta — perfect kisses, hot, soft and melting — are a surprisingly easy dessert.
It’s just a question of mixing the ingredients in a bowl (by hand) and then frying rounded teaspoonfuls of the batter in just under an inch of oil until you have some light, small, vaguely ball-shaped fritters that need no more than a powdery dusting with confectioners’ sugar.
Put a dish mounded with them on the table with coffee and watch them go.
- 1 cup ricotta
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup Italian 00 flour (or all purpose flour)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon superfine sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 2 teaspoons confectioners’ sugar
- In a medium bowl, combine ricotta and eggs, and mix until smooth.
- Add flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, sugar and vanilla.
- Mix again to make a smooth batter.
- Fill a wide, shallow skillet with about 3/8 inch of oil.
- Place over medium- high heat until a bit of batter sizzles when dropped in.
- Drop rounded teaspoons of batter into pan, 5 or 6 at a time.
- When batter puffs and undersides turn golden brown, after about 1 minute, flip kisses and allow to brown again for about 1 more minute.
- Transfer browned kisses to paper towels to drain, and continue until all batter is used. 3. Pile kisses in a rough pyramid on a serving plate.
- Pass confectioners’ sugar through a small fine-meshed sieve evenly over baci.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy your Italian Ricotta Puffs Kisses.