1 CUP LONG GRAIN RICE
3 EGGS – large
7-8 TBS OLIVE OIL
½ CUP PARMESAN CHEESE – grated
1 ONION – medium, chopped
FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER
1 TB CORN MEAL or POLEMNTA
SALT TO TASTE
ITALIAN SAUSAGE or PANCETTA – optional
- Bring 2 cups of salted water to a boil and then add the rice, stirring as you add. When all added, stir once more, cover and reduce the heat to low. Cook until the rice is tender, about 20 minutes, but do not overcook. Set aside and let cool.
- In the meantime, heat 2 tbs of the oil in a small skillet over medium heat, add the onions and cook until golden. (At this point if you would like to add some Italian sausage meat or chopped pancetta do it now and cook with the onions.) Let cool.
- Preheat oven to 450º and grease an 8X8-inch baking dish with some olive oil, evenly coating the bottom and the sides. Next coat the bottom and the oiled sides with cornmeal or polenta.
- In a bowl, beat 2 eggs, add the onions and any meat if adding.
- Add 4 tbs of the olive oil and all but one tb of the grated cheese. Mix well.
- Fluff up the cooked rice using a fork and fold into the cheese mixture.
- Taste and adjust for salt and pepper. Transfer to a prepared dish and smooth the top.
- Beat the eggs in a small bowl with 2 tsps. of water, the remaining oil and 1 tb of cheese, mix well and pour over the rice.
- Bake for 5 minutes, reduce heat to 350º and continue baking for an additional 30 minutes or until the torta is golden brown and the center is set. Allow to cool and serve at room temperature.