Ricciarelli is a luxurious and divine gluten-free cookie originating in Italy.
Easy to make, yet the result is fabulous.
Serve as is or with espresso, ice cream or tea.
- 2 cups almond flour
- 2 cups Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons orange zest, no white bitter pith
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Place almond flour in a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients. After measuring powdered sugar sift it and add to almond flour along with orange zest, cornstarch and baking powder and stir to combine.
- Whip egg whites in a separate bowl to firm peaks. Add to dry ingredients along with the salt and almond extract and fold using a spatula. The mixture will become heavy and firm. (This is not a light and airy meringue style composition.)
- On a plastic food wrap lined baking sheet spread or press the mixture into a 5 inch x 12 inch (13 cm x 30 cm) rectangular piece. Use powdered sugar to prevent sticking.
- Freeze one hour or overnight. Cut the frozen dough lengthwise into 5 equal size strips using a sharp knife. Cut the strips into a 45 degree angle to obtain diamonds. Dip the surface of the diamonds in powdered sugar and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Part of the dough can be frozen for later bake off.
- Bake at 350°F until pale golden, about 17 minutes. Move to wire rack to cool.
- Store in an air-tight container.
Source Imperial Sugar