My grandma’s Italian polenta. Polenta is part of the staple diet of Italy.
While it was originally most common in the north of Italy, today it is a popular dish which is enjoyed throughout Italy and in many other parts of the world.
Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 1 cup cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
- 4 cups chicken broth, water, or milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- Whisk the cornmeal, milk, and salt in a saucepan.
- Cook, whisking constantly, over medium-high heat, for about 5 minutes, or until thickened.
- Reduce the heat to low.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Your Italian polenta is now ready to be served!