Here is the tasty Italian-style Meat Sauce or Ragù della Nonna. If you want to make lasagna, ravioli,cannelloni or fettuccine, this is a special Italian Meat sauce for you!
- 1 lb beef meat
- 2 oz carrot
- salt and pepper
- ½ lb veal meat
- pork rind
- 1 ½ oz prosciutto fat
- ½ cup red wine
- ¾ oz all-purpose flour
- 3 ½ oz canned tomatoes
- 3 ½ oz onion
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 clove
- ⅜ oz dried mushrooms
- aromatic herb, (marjoram, thyme and laure
- This Italian sauce can substitute many sauces and gravies, so it is listed among the brown sauces.
- On the bottom of a casserole make a layer of ham fat puréed in a mixer with the blanched rinds, put on top the rump, stewing steak, veal hoof, mushrooms, herbs, and clove, and season with salt and pepper.
- Put the casserole onto the heat with its lid on, and cook over moderate heat stirring from time to time.
- As soon as the meat begins to brown, add the bouquet garni, douse with wine, leave to reduce completely and stir in the flour, away from the heat.
- Put the casserole back on the heat, mix thoroughly for some minutes over moderate heat, and add the chopped tomato.
- Cover with boiling water up to the level of the meat, adjust the salt and mix everything carefully to amalgamate the ingredients.
- Bring to the boil and continue cooking for about 4 hours in a moderate oven.
- Remove the casserole from the oven, put aside the meat, sieve the sauce into another casserole, put back on the heat and bring back to the boil, degreasing once in a while.
- If the sauce ends up too liquid, leave it to reduce to a normal consistency, pour into a bowl and keep in a cool place.
- It keeps for several days.
- With a little of this sauce, you can glaze the rump in the oven per 15 minutes to produce a fine braised beef, and you can use the stewing steak to prepare a meat loaf or some meatballs.
Source: Academia Barilla