Here is the quick and easy lemon chicken. A meal in one pot to end a busy day.
SERVING: Serves 5-6
3 TBS BUTTER – unsalted
2 GARLIC CLOVES – finely chopped
3 ½ CUPS CHICKEN BROTH
2 TSP FRESHLY GRATED LEMON PEEL
2 TSP FRESHLY SQUEEZED LEMON JUICE – OR TO TASTE
8 OZ (3 cups) RIGATONI – uncooked or your favorite short pasta
KOSHER SALT AND FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER – to taste
2 or 2 ½ CUPS SHREDDED COOKED CHICKEN
1/3 CUP PARMESAN or ROMANO CHEESE – freshly shredded
SHREDDED FRESH BASIL – for garnish
1/3 CUP WHITE WINE – your favorite
This is a good way to use the extra cooked meat from a roasted or rotisserie chicken.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat butter over medium heat, add garlic and cook until aromatic and translucent being careful to not let burn.
- Slowly add the chicken broth, lemon juice, rigatoni, salt, and pepper.
- Heat to the boiling point and then lower heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 15-16 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is al dente and most, but not all, of the liquid is absorbed.
- During the cooking watch that the pot does not become dry by adding a little more broth.
- Stir in white wine and cook for a few minutes.
- Add chicken and continue cooking for a few more minutes until everything is heated thoroughly.
- Taste for seasonings and adjust. Remove from heat, stir in grated lemon zest, and top generously with Parmesan or Romano cheese.
Serve and garnish with freshly torn basil and pass more cheese for topping.