The Potato Pudding. This is great addition to any meal and perfect for a company dish.
Sometimes you just need another quick dish to compliment a meal.
- ½ cup vegetable oil or duck fat
- 1 large onion – app. 1 cup – chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper – to taste
- Pinch of garlic powder
- 2 lbs russet potatoes – peeled
- 3 large eggs – lightly beaten
- ⅓ cup matzo meal or finely ground breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 375º. At the same time, heat an 8 or 9-inch , preferably square, dish in the oven.
- Coat the sides and bottom of the baking dish with ¼ cup of vegetable oil or melted duck fat and return to oven until very hot.
- While the dish is heating, place the peeled potatoes in a bowl of lightly salted water in order to keep from discoloring. Wipe the potatoes dry and grate directly into the chopped onions, stirring as you add each mound of grated potatoes.
- Stir in the lightly beaten eggs, the remaining ¼ cup of oil or fat, add salt and pepper, garlic powder and stir to mix in until well combined. Add enough matzo meal or breadcrumbs to bind all together.
- Carefully pour into heated dish and bake for app. 1 hour or until golden brown.
- Serve warm your potato pudding.
NOTE: To add a little color add some chopped marinated red peppers and mix in to blend.