The Polenta with creamy mushroom sauce. This traditional Italian-inspired side dish is taken to a new level when topped with a rich and creamy mushroom sauce.
Great served as a side dish or hearty enough to eat on its own.
SERVINGS: Serves 6
- 32 oz) chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons shredded Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1 package (8 oz) sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- In 3-quart saucepan, heat 2 1/2 cups of the broth and the whipping cream to boiling over medium-high heat.
- Stir in cornmeal, salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat. Cover and cook about 5 minutes, stir occasionally, until thickened.
- Remove from heat then stir in 2 tablespoons of the butter and 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan cheese.
- In 12-inch nonstick skillet, melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms and garlic. Cook 4 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until mushrooms are tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in flour, rosemary and pepper flakes. Mix them well.
- Then, slowly beat in remaining 1 1/2 cups broth and the vinegar with whisk. Cook 2 to 4 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve mushroom sauce over polenta. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.