The pizza with Artichoke Hearts (Pizza ai Carciofini ). Here’s a delicious variation on the classic pizza, featuring artichoke hearts, olives, and thinly sliced onions.
Makes four 11-inch pizzas
For the dough:
- 3 and 1/4 cups bread flour, plus extra for the counter
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1 tablespoon fine sea salt
- extra-virgin olive oil for greasing the bowl
For the topping:
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup canned chopped Italian plum tomatoes (preferably San Marzano)
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3/4 pound fresh Mozzarella, grated
- 12 marinated artichoke hearts, drained and thinly sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 16 pitted black olives
- 12 basil leaves, slivered
- Make the dough: Mix the flour, yeast, and salt in a food processor.
- With the motor running, add enough warm (110Â°F) water (about 1 and 1/4 cups) to make a soft dough that rides the blade.
- Process for 45 seconds.
- Add a little water if the dough is dry or a little flour if it is sticky.
- Lightly oil a bowl, place the dough in it, shape into a ball and wrap.
- Let rise at room temperature until doubled, about 1 hour.
- (Or allow to rise in the refrigerator until doubled, about 4 hours; when you are ready to shape the dough, return it to room temperature before cutting it and shaping it.)
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven with a baking stone in it to 550Â°F.
- Cut the dough into 4 pieces. Shape into 4 balls on a lightly floured counter.
- Cover and let rest for 15 minutes (this allows the gluten to relax, making stretching easier).
- Using a rolling pin (or your hands for a lighter texture), roll into 10-inch circles; the edges should be slightly higher than the center.
- Top the pizza: Place 1 circle on a generously floured baking peel.
- Working quickly from this point forward so the dough does not stick to the baking peel (if it sticks you will have a lot of trouble transferring it to the baking stone) rub with 1 teaspoon of the olive oil.
- Spoon on 1/4 cup of the tomatoes and spread gently with the back of a spoon (pressing will make the dough stick to the peel).
- Season with a pinch the salt.
- Top with one quarter of the Mozzarella, one quarter of the artichokes, one quarter of the onion, one quarter of the olives, and one quarter of the slivered basil.
- Stretch into an 11-inch circle with your hands, being careful not to tear the dough as you do so.
- Transfer the pizza directly to the baking stone and bake in the preheated oven for 6 to 7 minutes, or until the crust is crisp and the Mozzarella is bubbling.
- Continue in the same manner with the remaining ingredients and serve each pizza as it emerges from the oven.
Recipe from: https://www.rusticocooking.com/campania.htm