The Pizza di Patate or Italian Potato Pizza. The potato pizza is a recipe from Apulian cuisine. In the other regions it is known as potato gateau.
It is prepared with a mixture of simple ingredients such as potatoes, grated cheese, mozzarella cheese (or smoked cheese) and prosciutto or mortadella. It can be served hot, warm or cold as the appetizer, or side dish.
Servings: Serves 6
- 42 oz of potatoes;
- ¼ cup + 3 tbsp of butter;
- 2 eggs;
- 1 glass of milk (if needed);
- grated Grana Padano cheese;
- 5.29 oz of mortadella or ham;
- 5.29 oz of mozzarella cheese or smoked cheese;
- Wash and boil the potatoes in salted water for 45 minutes, then let them cool.
- Peel and cut into pieces. Smash them using a potato masher.
- Beat the eggs with a pinch of salt, black pepper and grated grana padano cheese.
- Prepare now the potato pizza.
- Mix the potatoes with the beaten eggs, mortadella in pieces, and smoked cheese (or mozzarella) cubes.
- Mix well until creamy. Add milk if needed.
- Arrange in a buttered baking pan, sprinkled with breadcrumbs, and finish by sprinkling the surface with breadcrumbs.
- Bake in preheated oven at 350°F for 30 minutes until the surface is crispy and golden.
- Turn off the oven and turn on the grill for 10 minutes if you like a more crispy surface.
- Let cool for at least 10-15 minutes, then cut into portions and serve still warm.