Here is the pesto alla Genovese. Pesto, or to refer to the original dish pesto alla genovese, is a sauce originating in Genoa, the capital city of Liguria, Italy.
It traditionally consists of crushed garlic, European pine nuts, coarse salt, basil leaves, hard cheese such as Parmigiano-Reggiano or Pecorino Sardo, all blended with olive oil.
PREPARATION TIME: 15 minutes
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 1/2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 2 small garlic cloves, halved
- 3/4 cup Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 2/5 cup Pecorino Romano Cheese
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 356 F.
- Spread the pine nuts over a baking tray.
- Bake in oven for 5 minutes or until toasted.
- Remove from oven and set aside for 10 minutes to cool.
- Place the pine nuts, basil, garlic, salt, Pecorino and Parmigiano Reggiano cheese in the bowl of a food processor and process until finely chopped.
- With the motor running, gradually add the oil in a thin steady stream until well combined.
- Store in an air-tight container and use as you please!