Here is the fabulous Pasta with pepper and tomato sauce. Pasta that captures the strong flavors of Calabria.
SERVINGS: Serves 4
- 1 lb spaghetti
- ⅝ lb tomatoes, fresh
- 2 bell peppers
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 5 oz guanciale (or bacon)
- 8 leaves of basil
- 2 oz grated Pecorino cheese
- 1 oz extra virgin olive oil
- Cube the guanciale (or bacon).
- Wash the peppers, remove the seeds and white part inside.
- Chop peppers and cook in a pot of boiling water for 2 minutes.
- Use a pairing knife to make a small X at the base of each tomato.
- Blanch in a pot of boiling water for 40 seconds.
- Then, emerge the tomatoes in cold water to cool them down.
- Peel, quarter and remove the seeds.
- Puree the tomatoes and peppers, using a food mill or food processor.
- Heat a plan over medium heat.
- Add oil and, when hot, add peeled garlic and guanciale.
- As soon as the ingredients are golden, add the tomato and pepper puree.
- Cook for 10 minutes, then add the basil.
- In the meantime, cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling, salted water.
- Check the box for cooking time.
- Once cooked, drain the pasta and toss with the pasta sauce.
- Sprinkle with grated pecorino and serve immediately.
Source and picture: Academia Barilla