The Italian Pasta and Beans Soup or pasta e fagioli. Two different beans provide fiber and substance to this popular pasta and bean soup.
Total Time: 45 minutes
Serving: serves 12
- 1 cup ditalini pasta
- 6 each thick sliced bacon, diced
- 2 cups onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2 each garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans Great Northern white beans, drained
- 2 cans (15 oz.) low sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (15 1/2 oz.) kidney beans
- 1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 each bay leaf
- 2 tsps dried oregano leaves, crushed
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Rinse with cold water to cool quickly; drain well.
- Meanwhile, in 5-quart saucepan over medium-high heat, cook bacon until crisp. Add onion, celery and garlic; cook 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, mash 1 can of Great Northern Beans. Add chicken broth, remaining beans, cooked pasta, tomatoes with juice, bay leaf and oregano.
- Add bean mixture to saucepan; heat to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf before serving.
- Enjoy your soup!