Panzanella is a delicious bread salad recipe originating in Tuscany.
It’s a refreshing salad, easy to make and great to eat on a hot day.
This traditional Tuscan salad is best made with a nice crusty loaf of Italian bread and the ripest tomatoes you can find.
SERVING: 4 people
- 1/2 loaf of leftover Italian bread torn into bite sized pieces
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cucumber, sliced thin
- 1/2 sweet red bell pepper. diced
- 1/2 sweet green bell pepper, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup of fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1/4 cup of fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 anchovy filets, mashed (optional)
- 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup of red wine or balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp of freshly grated black pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees
- Place the bread on a cookie sheet and toast the bread for around 15 minutes.
- Let the bread cool down.
- In a large bowl whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, garlic and anchovies.
- Add the bread, tomatoes, onions, cucumber, peppers, basil and parsley and toss together.
- Refrigerate for a half hour to let the flavors blend.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Your panzanella is now ready to be served!