Here is the best recipe for Panzanella, the Italian bread salad. This dish, traditionally prepared in homes throughout Tuscany, has a rustic, fresh and light flavor and is perfect to serve on a humid, summer day.
TOTAL TIME: 30 minutes
SERVINGS: Serves 4
- 1 lb rustic bread, stale
- 2 tomatoes, ripened
- 2 red onions
- 1 cucumber, (optional)
- 1 sprig basil
- extra virgin olive oil to taste
- vinegar to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the bread into slices and soak in cold water for a couple of minutes.
- Once heavy with water, remove a little bread at a time and squeeze out excess water using your hands.
- Then break apart into small, dry crumbs.
- Place in a salad bowl and add tomatoes, cucumbers and sliced onion and basil leaves.
- Dress with oil, salt and pepper and move to a cool place.
- When it is time to serve your Panzanella, add a splash of wine vinegar.
Source: Academia Barilla