Have this mouth watering onion rice casserole at your table.
- 3 LBS. ONIONS – thinly slice and should be 16 cups
- 1 CUP LONG GRAIN RICE
- 1 ½ CUPS CHEESE – grated – Colby, Swiss or
- Monterey Jack
- 1 ¾ – 2 CUPS LIGHT CREAM OR HALF AND HALF
- SALT AND PEPPER
- 8 TBS BUTTER – unsalted (one stick)
- Sauté onions in butter until limp.
- Meanwhile boil rice in two cups of water for only five minutes and then drain.
- Mix together the onions, rice, cheese and light cream. Taste for salt and pepper.
- Place in oblong greased casserole.
- Bake uncovered at 325 for one hour and the top is crusty.
- Check halfway through the baking and if looking a bit dry, add more cream or Half and Half.
- The onion rice casserole is now ready to be served.
Note: Casserole can be baked a day ahead, stored covered in refrigerator and then reheated before serving.
This is a family favorite and will be found on every special dinner table. However, it is also the favorite of two of our granddaughters so now they have taken over making it on occasion.