Snowball Doughnuts are traditional, bite-sized cake doughnuts tossed in powdered sugar.
Simple, classic, and easy – cake doughnuts are prized for their crispy golden outsides and a tender, sweet insides.
Prep Time: 5m – 10m
Bake/Cook Time: 3m
Yield: About 50 doughnuts
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 3 tablespoons shortening, soft
- 2 teaspoons grated orange or lemon rind
- 1 cup milk
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Oil for frying
- For tossing Confectioners Powdered Sugar
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs.
- Add sugar, shortening, and orange rind; beat until well mixed. Stir in milk.
- Combine remaining dry ingredients and blend into first mixture, stirring well.
- Place 3-inches of cooking oil in a deep saucepan and slowly heat to 370°F.
- Drop dough by heaping teaspoons into hot oil. (For more rounded doughnuts, try a cookie scoop.)
- Push dough from spoon with a small rubber scraper or another spoon. Do not put too many doughnuts in pan at the same time.
- Use a slotted spoon to turn dough until golden brown on all sides (about 3 minutes).
- Lift from oil with slotted spoon and drain a moment over pan.
- Place on paper towels to drain well. When cool, drop doughnut balls a few at a time into paper bag containing powdered sugar and shake until coated. Serve immediately
Source Imperial Sugar