This old fashioned Italian Stuffed Peppers recipe has been one of my favorite for years.
It’s great dish for the whole family.
Topped with mozzarella cheese and served with plenty of garlic bread and Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, this dish brings comfort food to a new level.
I make this recipe two different ways.
Baked in the oven or cooked in spaghetti sauce.
Each way results in a different taste. Both are delicious.
My garlic bread is always made with fresh garlic, oregano and topped with a sprinkle of Parmesan.
So, here’s my version of Stuffed Peppers.
- 4 large green or red bell peppers tops cut and insides cleaned.
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 3 cloves of chopped garlic
- 1 cup of cooked instant rice
- 1 large yellow onion
- 2 Tbls of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 15oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 Tbls of oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 package of mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup of Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- In a large skillet saute onions and garlic in oil for about five minutes.
- Add ground beef and cook for 10 minutes breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon. Drain oil.
- Stir in cooked rice.
- Sprinkle in oregano, salt and pepper.
- Add 1 can of tomato sauce
- Sprinkle in around 1/4 of the mozzarella cheese.
- Cook stirring until cheese is melted.
- Place the peppers in a large steamer and cook until tender.
- Stuff peppers with the ground beef mixture.
- Put some tomato sauce at the bottom of a large baking dish and arrange peppers standing up.
- Pour remaining sauce and water over the peppers and top with the remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in 350 degree oven until cheese is melted.
- Serve your Italian Stuffed Peppers garlic bread and Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.
Here’s my Moms version.
If you want to make this recipe in a spaghetti sauce, don’t cook any of the ingredients.
Mix only the rice, ground beef, mozzarella cheese, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper.
Stuff the raw peppers with the mixture and place in the spaghetti sauce for around two hours.
The taste is unreal.