It’s an old Italian recipe that I had laying around for years.
They turned out pretty good for my first time making them and were great with coffee in the morning.
The reason you need time and the hardest part of the whole thing was shelling the hazelnuts.
Instead of buying chopped hazelnuts I decided they would taste better made with fresh nuts. And they were, except it took me around an hour or so to shell the damn things. Other than that the rest was easy.
Biscotti, as I’m sure you know, are twice baked Italian cookies that are crisp and crunchy.
They can be made in a variety of different flavor and will keep for quite a while when stored in a tin or plastic container.
There is nothing like having these Double Chocolate Biscotti with your coffee, espresso or cappuccino in the morning.
By the way there is nothing better than eating chocolate mousse while writing. No wonder I’m gaining weight.
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of good quality cocoa powder
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 6 Tbls stick of butter, softened
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup of hazelnuts, chopped
- 3/4 cup of semisweet mini chocolate chips
- Pre heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift together the flour cocoa powder, baking soda and baking powder.
- Using a Kitchen Aid or a hand mixer, mix together the butter and sugar, salt and vanilla extract.
- Mix in the eggs one at a time until well blended.
- Mix in the flour mixture a little at a time to form a stiff dough.
- Mix in the chopped hazelnuts and chocolate chips.
- Butter and flour a 2 cookie sheets or line the cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Separate the dough into two pieces.
- Place the pieces of dough on the cookie sheet and shape into a log.
- Flatten the log out.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes then cool for 10 minutes.
- With a serrated knife cut the biscotti into 10/2 inch diagonal slices.
- Place back on the cookie sheet cut side up and bake for 10 more minutes.
Make around 20 Double Chocolate Biscotti