This four-layer cake is a unique twist on the Italian-American favorite but still has that traditional cannoli flavor.
SERVING: Yields 12
- 3/4 c. unsalted butter
- 3 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 1 1/2 c. half-and-half
- 1 c. mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 c. chopped shelled pistachios
- 2 large cannoli shells
- 3 1/2 c. whole-milk ricotta
- 2 1/2 tsp. orange zest
- 2 tsp. lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. Kosher salt
- 3/4 c. confectioners’ sugar
- 3/4 c. heavy cream
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat two 8-inch round cake pans with butter, then dust with flour; shake out any excess.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the sugar and butter in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then beat in the almond extract (if using). Reduce the mixer speed to medium and gradually add the flour mixture, alternating with the half-and-half, mixing just until combined; fold in 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter between the prepared pans (about 3 1/2 cups each) and bake until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cakes cool in pans for 5 minutes, then invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- While the cakes cool, make the frosting. Using an electric mixer, beat the ricotta in a large bowl until smooth. Beat in the zests, cinnamon, and salt. Mix in the confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Add the heavy cream and, using the whisk attachment, beat on medium-high speed until thick and stiff, 3 to 4 minutes. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Cut the cakes in half horizontally to create 4 layers. Arrange four 3-inch-wide strips of parchment or wax paper in a square around the edge of a serving plate (this will help keep the plate clean) and place 1 cake layer on the plate. Spread 1 cup frosting on top. Sandwich another layer of cake and repeat with the remaining layers, then frost the top and sides of the cake.
- Gently press the pistachios, cannoli shells, and remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips onto the sides of the cake (use the parchment paper to help pat them on). Refrigerate until ready to serve (up to 2 days).
Source and pictures: https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/food-recipes/a16394/cannoli-cake-recipe-wdy0315/