Enjoy this delicious almond pound cake glazed with amaretto – a tasty Italian flavored dessert.
1/3 cup sliced almonds
1 1/4 cups butter, softened
1 package (3 oz) cream cheese, softened
2 1/2 cups sugar
3 tablespoons amaretto
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
6 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup amaretto
2 tablespoons water
- Heat oven to 325°F. Grease 12-cup fluted tube cake pan with shortening; lightly flour. Sprinkle almonds in bottom of pan.
- In large bowl, beat 1 1/4 cups butter and the cream cheese with electric mixer on medium speed until creamy. Gradually add 2 1/2 cups sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add 3 tablespoons amaretto and the vanilla, beating just until blended. Gradually add flour, beating on low speed just until blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating just until blended after each addition. Pour batter over almonds in pan.
- Bake 1 hour 5 minutes to 1 hour 10 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- During last 10 minutes of baking, mix glaze ingredients in 1-quart saucepan. Heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring often. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Gradually spoon hot glaze over cake, allowing it to soak into cake after each addition. Cool completely in pan on cooling rack, about 1 hour 30 minutes.