Nonna’s vanilla sour cream pound cake. This pound cake is a bit lighter than your usual pound cake. It uses only egg whites and not the yolks.
A little less cholesterol for those of you that are watching your fat intake.
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks/6 oz/170g) unsalted butter, softened
- 8 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups regular or light sour cream
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Coat a 10-inch tube pan with cooking spray.
- Beat sugar and butter at medium speed of a mixer until well-blended (about 5 minutes). Gradually add egg whites, beating well.
- Combine sour cream and baking soda. Stir well; set aside. Combine flour and salt. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in vanilla.
- Pour batter into prepared tube pan. Bake in preheated oven at 325°F (160°C) degrees for 1 hour and 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes; remove from pan. Let cool completely on a wire rack.