This fudgy chocolate pie topped with fluffy whipped cream is what silky, smooth chocolate dreams are made of.
Chocolate Cream Pie
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie crust (store bought or homemade)
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon chocolate extract
- 1 teaspoon Instant Espresso Baking Powder
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Prepare your homemade pie crust or take the premade crust and use a fork to make indentations in the bottom of the crust (this allows air to escape from the crust and prevents bubbles from forming). Line the crust with a piece of aluminum foil and pour in dried rice or beans to line the aluminum foil. Bake for 20 minutes.
- While the crust blind bakes, prepare the filling. Melt the chocolate and butter in a saucepan over low heat, stirring in one direction (this will prevent the mixture from splitting). Stir until homogenous and remove from the heat. Set aside.
- Beat the eggs, salt, and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Fold 1/3 of the egg mixture along with the chocolate extract and espresso powder into the chocolate until well mixed. Gently fold in the remaining 2/3 of the egg mixture.
- Remove the pie crust from the oven and take out the aluminum foil and beans/rice. Pour the chocolate filling into the pre-baked pie crust, using a rubber spatula to smooth out the filling. Reduce the heat to 325°F and bake until puffed and just beginning to crack (about 25 minutes).
- Allow the pie to cool for an hour before placing in the fridge to chill.
- When ready to serve the chocolate cream pie, make the whipped cream by whipping the cream, granulated sugar, and vanilla until stiff peaks form, about 3 minutes. Spread the whipped cream over the chilled pie. Sprinkle with shaved chocolate, slice and enjoy!