An authentic Italian recipe from our kitchen to yours.
– 2 cups flour
– 2/3 cup sugar
– 1/2 cup almond flour
– 1/4 cup cocoa powder
– 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
– 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
– 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
– 1 teaspoons baking powder
– 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
– Zest of 1 medium orange
– Juice of 1 medium orange
– 6 to 8 ounces warm water
– 12 ounces chocolate chips or your favorite chocolate bar, chopped
– 1/3 cup heavy cream
1. Place the oven racks in the center of the oven, and then preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a mixing bowl add all of the dry ingredients except for the chocolate chips and mix well to combine.
3. Add the orange juice, and then add the water, a little at a time, to the mixture and stir well. Continue this process until you have a dough that is easily kneadable – the consistency of Play Doh. You may not need all of the water.
4. Once the dough is formed, turn it out onto a work surface dusted with either flour or powdered sugar to prevent the dough from sticking to the surface.
5. Roll out the dough to approximately 1/8 inch thickness and cut the dough into diamond shapes using a knife or a cookie cutter.
6. Place the cookies on cookie sheets lined with parchment paper.
7. Put the cookie sheets into the oven and bake for 15 – 20 minutes, rotating the pans 1/2 way through baking to ensure even cooking.
8. When the cookies are finished baking, remove them from the oven and let them cool slightly.
9. To glaze the cookies, combine the heavy cream and chocolate chips in a bowl. Place the bowl over a pot of boiling water or into the microwave to melt the chocolate chips. Once melted, stir the mixture well so that you have a smooth sauce.
10. To coat the cookies, spoon the chocolate sauce evenly over each cookie. Alternatively, dredge the cookies in the melted chocolate sauce to coat them entirely, and place them back on the parchment to set for at least 30 minutes.
11. The cookies are ready to serve when the chocolate has hardened.