A very delicious recipe!
The key to this lasagna is starting with a good homemade sauce.
The key to a good homemade sauce is really quite simple – a long simmer with Italian sausage.
Makes one 9-by-13-inch lasagna
- Olive oil
- 6 Italian sausages, halved
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (large) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Dried oregano, basil and parsley to taste
- 1/2 package lasagna noodles (see note)
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds ground beef (optional)
- 16 ounces Ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 cup freshly shredded mozzarella cheese
Brown the sausages in olive oil with the garlic in the bottom of a large saucepan.
Add crushed tomatoes and seasonings. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
Brown the ground beef until cooked through.
Drain the fat.
Boil lasagna noodles until cooked.
Meanwhile, combine Ricotta, Parmigiano cheese, eggs and parsley in a bowl and mix well.
To assemble, put a layer of sauce in the bottom of a 9- by 13-inch baking dish, followed by a layer of noodles.
Next put a layer of meat (if using) and a layer of cheese, followed by a layer of sauce.
Repeat with another set of noodle, meat, cheese, sauce layers. Finish with a layer of noodles, followed by sauce and topped with mozzarella cheese.
Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
Remove foil and bake another 10 to 15 minutes, until cheese has started to brown on top.
Let stand 10 to 15 minutes before cutting.
Serve with sausages, if desired, or save them for a sausage sandwich the next day.