This recipe is also called Pasta di Cascia. Our family never gets bored with eating pasta and I probably have a recipe for all 365 days. I know that after all the cooking and baking for the holidays, it is comforting to have a nice easy recipe that the family enjoys to fall back on. And if the grandchildren, our “piccoli cuochi” are here, it’s more fun because they will help make the linguine and make sure it is carefully spread out on the table.
My grandkids making linguine
- ¾ lb fresh pasta – preferably linguini
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper freshly ground
- 1 ½ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 oz pancetta – diced
- 2 links Italian sweet sausage – crumbled
- 1 egg
- 4 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons coarse sea salt
- freshly grated Italian cheese for serving
- juice of half a large lemon and grated zest
- Egg mixture: In a medium bowl, beat together the egg, pepper, nutmeg, lemon juice, zest and cream. Mix well so that all is incorporated and then set aside.
- In a large heavy bottom pan, add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and heat.
- Add the pancetta and cook until it just starts to crisp. Do not overcook.
- Remove pancetta from the pan and put in a separate bowl.
- Add the sausages to the pan and cook until browned. When cooked, add them to the bowl with the pancetta.
- Drain off all excess fat and oils, and add the remaining olive oil to the pan. Set aside.
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil.
- Add the salt and the pasta, then stir.
- Cook pasta until al dente and then drain it. Reserve about a cup of the pasta water as this might be helpful later on. Fresh pasta cooks quickly.
- When the pasta is almost ready, reheat the pan and return the sausages and pancetta to make them warm.
- As soon as the pasta is ready, drain it and add it to the pan. Toss it with the sausage and pancetta.
- When all is mixed in, remove pan from the heat and add the egg mixture from step 1. Stir quickly, making sure the egg mixture coats all the pasta.
- Transfer the pasta to a warmed bowl or serve directly from the pan.
- If you think it is too dry, add a little of the reserved pasta water.
- Pass the cheese and the pepper mill. Enjoy!