Once upon a time, the pound cake was so named because it combined a pound each of butter, sugar, eggs and flour.
SERVING: Serves 16
- 3 3/4 cups (1 lb. pkg.) Confectioners Sugar
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan.
- Beat confectioners’ sugar and butter until light and fluffy; blend in vanilla and almond extract.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition.
- Stir together flour, baking powder and salt in small bowl; gradually add to sugar mixture, alternately with milk, beating after each addition until smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 60 to 75 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes in pan; turn out on cooling rack.
- Cool completely.
- Top with fresh fruit, ice cream or sweetened whipped cream.