From my mom’s memories, a fantastic recipe.
20-30 minutes to assemble
First bake 25-30 minutes
Cool 10-20 minutes
Second bake 8-10 minutes per side
- 1-7oz box Almond Paste, grated
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) chilled unsalted butter, diced
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup Dutch processed cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon almond liqueur
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- Optional: 1 cup bittersweet chocolate*
*for an extra chocolatey experience add chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment or foil.
- Add grated Almond Paste, butter, flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder and salt to a food processor fitted with a metal blade, or use a bowl with pastry blender. Pulse or mix until the texture of fine crumbs.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs with almond liqueur. Add flour mixture, almonds and chips, if desired. Mix until dough holds together. Turn out onto a lightly floured counter.
- Knead. Cut dough in half and roll into 2-10 inch logs. Transfer to cookie sheet. Flatten each log to 3/4 inch thickness.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until firm. Cool cookie sheet on wire rack for 10-20 minutes.
- Cut into 3/4″ diagonal slices. Return to cookie sheet, cut side down. Bake 8-10* minutes. Flip and bake 8-10 minutes more.
- Cool on wire rack and store in air-tight container for 2-3 weeks.
TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
- Parchment paper
- Pastry blender
Test Kitchen tip:
Bake the full 10 minutes, for dryer textured biscotti; for softer textured biscotti, bake only 8 minutes each side.
Source and picture: Odense