This pie is extra delicious with the combination of sour cherries, dried cherries and an Almond Paste lined pie crust.
25 minutes to assemble
40-45 minutes to bake
Total time: 65-70 minutes
1-9 inch deep-dish pie
- 2-24 oz jars, pitted sour cherries
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 double pie crust (homemade or store bought)
- 1-7 oz Almond Paste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Milk and sugar
- Adjust rack to lowest or second lowest rung in oven. Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment and set aside.
- Drain sour cherries, reserving 2 cups juice. Add reserved cherry juice, dried cherries, sugar, cornstarch, and cinnamon to a medium saucepan. Whisking, bring to a simmer until thickened and translucent.
- Remove from heat and stir in drained cherries. Refrigerate until cool.
- Roll crust and fit into a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate. Shape Almond Paste into a flat disk and place between wax paper. Roll out to a 9-inch circle and press into bottom and up sides of pie crust.
- Fill almond lined pie crust with cooled cherry mixture and dot with butter. Roll second crust and place on top of cherries. Seal edges and cut steam vents. Brush crust with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Place on baking sheet and cook for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 375°F and bake another 25-30 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Rotate pie half way through baking for even cooking. Cool pie on wire rack for 2 hours before cutting.
Source and picture:Odense