Melone e prosciutto risotto or Risotto with Melon and Prosciutto
A great refreshing summer dish for a light dinner or brunch.
- 1 Honeydew melon – large
- 5 tbs butter – unsalted
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1 cup cream or half
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper – to taste
- 4 cups broth – chicken or beef
- 1 onion – small, minced
- 1 ½ cups dry white wine
- 4 oz prosciutto 0 thinly sliced
- 1 cup parmesan cheese – freshly grated
- Cut the melon in half, remove the seeds, cut away the flesh, dice and place in the bowl of a food processor. Lightly puree and set aside.
- Heat the broth in a covered sauce pan and just when it starts to simmer, lower heat to low.
- Place the butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat, add the onion and sauté just until golden being careful not to burn.
- Add the rice and stir with a wooden spoon for a few minutes until the rice is well coated with butter. Add the wine (choose a wine that you will enjoy drinking while cooking) a little at a time. Stir constantly until all the wine has been slowly added and the rice has absorbed all the liquid.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and add ½ cup of the hot broth and continue stirring. Repeat this process, adding the broth a little at a time until the rice is al dente, or firm to the bite.
- Add the melon puree, cream, and prosciutto and quicky stir into the rice being careful to not mash the rice. Taste and season with salt and pepper., if necessary, as the prosciutto will add some saltiness.
- Remove the risotto from the heat.
- Serve your Melone e prosciutto risotto passing the freshly grated Parmesan cheese.