Here is the Mediterranean Stew. An easy fall classic the whole family will enjoy!
¾ LB BEEF and PORK – any combination that makes ¾ lb total
1 EGGPLANT – small, peeled and diced
1/3 CUP FLOUR
2 TSPS PAPRIKA
1 TB OLIVE OIL
2 ZUCCHINI – cubed
1 RED or YELLOW PEPPER – diced
1 ONION – medium, diced
2 GARIC CLOVES – chopped
1 CAN (14.5 oz) TOMATOES – diced, undrained
1 CAN (14 oz) WHITE BEANS – small or large
PINCH DRIED OREGANO
SALT and FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER – to taste
1 PKG (8 oz) ARTICHOKE HEARTS – frozen or 14oz canned, drained
1 TB TOMATO PASTE – or to taste
CRUSHED RED PEPPER FLAKES – to taste
1 CUP CHICKEN BROTH – your favorite
GARLIC POWDER – to taste
- Cut some of the visible fat from the meat and cut into bite-size pieces.
- Toss with flour and paprika a little salt and pepper and garlic powder, until coated.
- Sauté meat in a pan with olive oil and garlic until all sides are seared.
- Do not let the garlic burn.
- Place meat, with all accumulated pan juices in a crock pot with all the vegetables, beans, tomato paste, diced tomatoes with juice, broth, and all additional seasonings.
- Stir well and cook on low for about 8 hours or 5 hours on high.
- Taste for seasonings when finished cooking and adjust.
- If you would like a little thicker gravy spoon in a little Wondra and stir until dissolved.
- Enjoy your Mediterranean Stew.
NOTE: Serve over cooked rice for a complete meal.