- 50-60 mussels – scrubbed
- 3 garlic cloves – chopped
- 8 fresh basil leaves – torn
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 4 tbs olive oil
- ¾ tsp red pepper flakes – or to taste
- 1 cup good white wine (wine you will drink while cooking!)
- juice of 1 lemon
- salt & pepper – to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the mussels and pour the wine over all, cover, and bring to a boil.
- Add the garlic, oregano, red pepper, salt and pepper and stir.
- Cover and cook until the mussels start to open.
- Add the basil and lemon juice, stir and cover.
- Continue cooking until all the mussels are open.
- Before serving, discard any mussels that are still closed.
- Ladle into soup bowls and serve with crusty Italian bread and the remainder of the white wine, if any!