The magic custard cake. A surprise and a delight all in one!
- 4 eggs – separated
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¾ cup flour
- powdered sugar – for dusting
- 1 tsp vanilla or lemon extract
- 8 tb (1 stick) butter – melted
- 2 cups milk – room temperature
- Preheat oven to 325º.
- Grease an 8X8-inch baking pan and line with parchment paper.
- Separate eggs and add the whites to a mixer and beat until stiff. Place egg whites in a bowl and set aside.
- Beat the yolks, adding the sugar a little at a time while continuing to beat, until light and airy. Add butter and extract of your choice and beat for an additional 2 minutes. Slowly add the flour and mix it in until fully incorporated.
- Slowly start adding the milk and beat until all is well combined. Add the egg whites 1/3 at a time and gently fold them in with a spatula. Repeat until all the egg white have been folded in.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and bake for 50-60 minutes. However, I suggest checking at 30 minutes and if getting too brown, cover loosely with foil.
- Bake until the top is a nice golden brown.
- Your magic custard cake is ready to be served!