Did you know that a pound cake actually tastes better the day after it has been baked?
This lovely lemon pound cake is a great make ahead dessert for any occasion!
- 2 3/4 cups Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups sifted cake flour*
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup whipping cream, unwhipped
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 cups Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- Grated zest of one lemon
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1-2 teaspoons of hot water
- 1 cup, for dusting Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- Grease and flour a 9×5-inch tube pan. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream butter with sugar until very light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition.
- Sift flour with baking soda and add alternately to cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Blend in lemon extract and lemon zest.
- Spoon batter evenly into prepared tube pan and bake in center of oven for 65-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean.
- Cool cake in its pan on a rack for 10 minutes, then loosen cake from the rim of the pan with a long sharp knife. Remove cake from pan and cool to room temperature on a rack. While cake cools, prepare Luscious Lemon Glaze.
- Luscious Lemon Glaze: Sift powdered sugar into a small mixing bowl. Add lemon zest and lemon juice. Stir in hot water, one teaspoon at a time, until glaze is smooth, creamy, and of a good drizzling consistency.
- Drizzle glaze on top of cake and dust with powdered sugar. Store cake, tightly covered, at room temperature.
This recipe originally appeared in the Homemade Good News Cookbook, 1993, V XIII, No. 4.