It’s the dog days of summer. Quench it with Limonata.
Several years ago when we were in Italy, on a little outdoor terrace overlooking incredible verdant hills and valleys, we escaped the heat with a delicious drink that refreshed and calmed our tired feet and bodies.
We have since been able to closely remake this drink at home. However the key to the success is that we always have a bottle of homemade Limoncello in our freezer. If you do, too, indulge yourself and think of rolling hills and green pastures.
- Fill a tall glass or a shaker part way with ice.
- Add 2 1/2 – 3 oz. Vodka. If you have citrus flavored Vodka, all the better.
- Add a generous splash of Limoncello and then add your desired amount of sour mix.
- Shake well and pour into a high-ball glass.
- Serve with a thin slice of lemon or a lemon peel.
To make the sour mix:
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup Water
- 2 Cups fresh lemon juice – strained
- ½ – 1 Cup Lime juice – strained
- Combine the water and sugar in a small pot and cook over medium heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Lower the heat to a light simmer and add the strained citrus juices.
- Let simmer for a few seconds while stirring to incorporate all.
- Remove from the heat and let cool before pouring into a jar to keep until needed in the refrigerator.