The Lemon pound cake. Serve this flavorful and moist lemon pound cake with the tangy and light lemon sauce. So tasty and very refreshing!
Serving: Makes 12 servings
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 6 eggs, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 cup sour cream
- Lemon Sauce (see recipe below)
- Preheat oven to 325° F (160° C).
- Grease a 16-cup (3 1/2 to 4 liter) tube or bundt pan.
- Dust pan with cake flour; tap out excess flour.
- Sift flour, baking soda and salt into medium bowl.
- Using electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl at medium speed until fluffy.
- Gradually add sugar and beat 5 minutes.
- Add eggs 1 at a time, beating just until combined after each addition.
- Beat in lemon juice and zest. Using rubber spatula, mix in dry ingredients.
- Mix in sour cream. Transfer batter to prepared pan.
- Bake cake until tester inserted near center comes out clean, about 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Let cake cool in pan on rack 15 minutes.
- Cut around cake in pan. Turn out cake.
- Carefully turn cake right side up on rack and cool completely.
- Once pound cake has cooled, drizzle with cooled Lemon Sauce (recipe follows).
Note: Pound cake can be prepared 2 days ahead. Wrap in foil and let stand at room temperature.
Serving: Makes 2 cups.
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup water
- Beat eggs in a large bowl until foamy; add the sugar in a stream and continue beating mixture for 3 minutes or until thick and pale.
- Transfer the egg mixture to the top of a double boiler.
- Whisk together the egg mixture, zest and juice, water and a pinch of salt.
- Set bowl over boiling water and whisk gently for 10 minutes, cooking the mixture until it thickens around the edge.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl to cool.
- Cover and refrigerate. Will keep in the refrigerator for 3 days.