The gluten-free lemon cake with whipped ricotta. This light and luscious lemon yogurt cake is gluten-free, zesty and delicious.
- 1 cup icing sugar mixture, plus 1/3 cup, extra
- 1 lemon, rind nely grated, juiced
- 2 tablespoons polenta
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup Greek-style yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups almond meal
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups full-fat ricotta
- Fresh blueberries, to serve (optional)
- Fresh mint leaves, to serve (optional)
- Lemon zest, to serve
- Preheat oven to 338/302 F fan forced. Grease a round 6 inch cake pan and line the base and side with baking paper.
- Use a balloon whisk to whisk the eggs, icing sugar, lemon rind and vanilla in a bowl until combined and thickened slightly. Whisk in the yogurt.
- Use a large metal spoon to fold in the almond meal, polenta and baking powder until well combined. Pour the mixture into the prepared cake pan and smooth the surface.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool slightly before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Use a long serrated knife to slice the cake in half horizontally.
- Use electric beaters to beat the ricotta, extra icing sugar, milk and 2 teaspoons lemon juice in a bowl until smooth.
- Then use a spatula to spread half the ricotta mixture evenly over the cut side of the cake base.
- Top with the remaining cake layer, cut side down. Spread the remaining ricotta mixture over the top of the cake. Sprinkle with blueberries, mint and lemon zest.