- ¾ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup brandy
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- ½ tsp. salt
- 12 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened (1½ sticks)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Zest of one tangerine (or corresponding amount of orange or lemon)
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- In a small bowl, soak the dried cranberries in brandy for about an hour or until plump.
- You can omit the brandy and use apple cider or even water to moisten the cranberries instead. The kids won’t miss it, though I might.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, and salt. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until smooth.
- Beat in the egg, vanilla, and tangerine zest.
- Stir in the dry ingredients along with the raisins and any remaining liquid.
- Cover and chill until firm enough to handle, about an hour.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough to a thickness somewhere between ¼- and ½-inch.
- Using a sharp paring knife or bench scraper, cut the dough into diamond shapes and set on cookie sheets.
- Bake about 15 minutes or until zaleti are lightly browned around the edges.
- Let cool on rack. Dust with powdered sugar just before serving.