The luscious Italian stuffed zucchini. These satisfying zucchini are stuffed with ricotta and pine nuts and served with a flavorful olive and caper sauce.
SERVINGS: Serves 4
- 1 lb zucchini
- 1 onion
- 3 oz ricotta cheese
- ¾ oz pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- salt to taste
- 7 oz tomato sauce
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons ligurian olives (small, black brine cured olives)
- 1 handful capers
- Cut off the ends of the zucchini, them cut them in half to make two small logs.
- Cook by either steaming or boiling in a pot of boiling, salted water for about 5 minutes.
- Once cooked, drain, and cut them lengthwise.
- Use a teaspoon to dig out the pulp, giving the zucchini the shape of small boats.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a pan, add half a finely chopped onion, and as soon as it is lightly browned, add half of the pulp of the zucchini and sauté for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Then add salt, remove from heat and mix with the ricotta and 2/3rds of the pine nuts, roasted and chopped.
- Stuff the zucchini with the filling and decorate with remaining whole pine nuts.
To prepare the Sauce:
- Place another pan over medium heat, with the remaining tablespoon of oil and, as soon as it is hot, add the other half of the onion, sliced, but not too thinly.
- Then add the tomato sauce and season with salt.
- Mix with a wooden spoon, adding the white wine. Let cook for 10 minutes.
- Then, remove the sauce from the heat, add the capers, previously desalted by passing them under running water, and sliced, pitted olives.
- Pour the sauce into a serving dish, place stuffed zucchini on top and serve immediately.
Source and picture: Academia Barilla