This delicious Stuffed Eggplant can be served as an appetizer or a main course.
Eggplant, like zucchini, bell peppers, tomatoes or squash, can be stuffed with a variety of different ingredients.
This is a fairly simple recipe but you can stuff it with ground beef and vegetables or chunks of pork or lamb or just plain seasoned breadcrumbs with cheese.
Whatever you prefer this recipe is a healthy alternative to rich Italian dishes.
The best eggplant to use are firm and shiny.
You can use regular eggplant as a main dish or smaller Italian baby eggplants for appetizers.
This Stuffed Eggplant recipe uses the inside of the eggplant mixed with fresh tomatoes, mushrooms, cheese and seasoning. Enjoy!
Serves: 4 People
- 2 large eggplants or 4 small eggplants
- 10 baby portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup of Italian flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 6 Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 tsp of dried tomatoes
- 2 tsp of dried basil
- 1 tsp of dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of fresh ground black pepper
- 4 Tbls of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup of plain fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup of fresh grated Romano cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Place the whole eggplant in a baking dish and bake for around 30 minutes.
- Leave the oven on and take the eggplant out a let them cool down.
- Cut the eggplants in half and scoop out the inside leaving around 1/4 inch shell.
- Chop the eggplant into cubes and place it in a medium size bowl.
- Add the mushrooms, onion, garlic, parsley, tomatoes, oregano, basil, thyme, salt, pepper, breadcrumbs and half of the cheese and mix together.
- In a large saucepan, sauté all the ingredients in the olive oil for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Using a large spoon, stuff the eggplants with the mixture and top with the remaining cheese.
- Place the eggplants on a baking sheet and bake for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Place the eggplant under a broiler to slightly brown the cheese on top.
- Garnish the top with extra parsley.
Follow us on Facebook for more recipes and stories.