The Italian stuffed cubanelle peppers. If you like Italian food, this is a very delicious recipe for you!!!
- 4 cubanelle peppers, topped and seeded
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 4 garlic cloves, mashed and minced
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 6 oz chicken stock
- 1/4 cup of chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup of pre-cooked rice
- 1/4 cup of grated mozzarella cheese
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large saute pan, cook onions and sausage on high heat for about 5 minutes, until meat is browned and onions are tender.
- Add garlic and cook for about 40 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add crushed tomatoes. (I used diced tomatoes & ran them through the blender for a second to cut down on large tomato chunks), chicken stock, and fresh basil. Stir together until basil is wilted. If mixture is too watery, let cook down until slightly thickened.
- Place mixture into a large bowl with rice, cayenne, and mozzarella cheese. Stir well to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Evenly add stuffing to peppers, leaving leftover stuffing in fridge for later on in the week. (I used the extra as a bed for the peppers).
- Place peppers in a casserole dish and cover with foil. Bake for 40-45 minutes until stuffing is heated through and peppers are tender. Serve hot.