This antipasto or side dish is pleasant and goes well with grilled food. It is a very convenient dish because it can be prepared in advance.
SERVING: Serves 4 to 6
- 2 medium size eggplants
- ¾ cup of olive oil
- 12 slices of cheese (tuma, provoletta or mozzarella)
- 12 fillets of anchovies
- 3 tablespoons of capers, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon of pine nuts
- chopped Italian parsley
- salt and pepper
- Wash eggplants, remove stalks and slice horizontally with the skin on, about ½ inch thick.
- Remove excessive skin from first and last slice of each eggplant.
- Place eggplants in a colander, salt lightly and set aside for 20 minutes.
- Rinse the sliced eggplant, and drain for a few minutes.
- Gently pat dry with a clean dish towel or paper towels, brush both sides with oil and grill the eggplant slices until tender, about 3 minutes on each side. If a grill is not available use your oven at 400 degrees, cooking it for 5 minutes on each side or until tender.
- Place grilled eggplants in a pan or large dish and place a slice of the cheese on each slice, add one fillet of anchovy broken in pieces, a few capers, a few pine nuts, some parsley and a sprinkle of pepper.
- Fold and roll up each slice, starting at the narrow side of the slice, secure with a wooden toothpick and set aside.
- When ready to serve, grill the eggplant rollatini for a few minutes until hot and tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- If a grill is not available, place rollatini in an oiled pan 11”X7”, drizzle with oil and bake in a hot oven at 400 degrees, for about 5 minutes.
- Place cooked eggplant in a serving dish, drizzle with olive oil and serve immediately.