A special and delicious recipe from the South of Italy.
- 4 lbs clean squid, boiled as per instructions in the preface to squid
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, lightly crushed
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste diluted in 1 cup of water
- 1 can 14 oz. peeled tomatoes
- 6 Basil leaves
- A pinch of oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peperoncino – red hot pepper(optional)
- 1 cup of dry white wine
- 1. Place the tomatoes in a bowl and crush them with your hands. Set aside.
- 2. In a 4 quart saucepan, place the 4 tablespoons of oil and the onion. Sauté on medium heat, until the onion is light golden, then add the garlic cloves; after few minutes add the tomato paste diluted in water and sauté for about 5 minutes. If the sauce gets too dry add more water.
- 3. Put into the pot the tomato, basil, oregano, the peperoncino (optional), salt and pepper; bring to a boil, then lower the heat to medium and simmer uncovered for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 4. Mix in the precooked calamari and the wine: should the sauce be too dry add more wine or water.
- 5. Bring to a boil then lower the heat to a medium and simmer for an additional 15 minutes uncovered, to let the wine evaporate.
- 6. If the sauce of the calamari is too watery simmer for additional time, until it reaches the desired consistency.
- 7. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.
- 8. Serve the calamari con salsa with a crusty bread to mop the sauce.
- 9. Or else cook 1 pound of spaghetti or linguine, to prepare the classic dish of pasta and squid in tomato sauce – con calamari al pomodoro.