Here is the soft and delicious Italian meatballs with sauce. Meatballs with sauce are the second classic and traditional meat favorite for adults and children!
Small morsels made from a mixture of minced meat, bread, milk, eggs and cheese, slowly cooked in tomato sauce!
Nothing could be simpler to make!
Nothing more greedy and comforting that brings water to your mind!
PREPARATION TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 25 minutes
For the dough
- 12 oz of minced beef for meat sauce not too thin
- 2 medium-small eggs
- 5 tablespoons of Grana Padano or Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 5 tablespoons of milk
- 1 – 2 tablespoons of breadcrumbs (depending on how much the dough requires)
- 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
For the sauce
- 14 oz (1 jar) of chopped tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
1. First of all, in a large bowl, combine the minced meat, the eggs, the parmesan cheese, the breadcrumbs, the salt and the nutmeg, knead and add the milk a little, until you get a soft and homogeneous mixture:
2. Then form the meat balls, removing pieces of dough about 3 cm, give it the round shape between the palms of your hands:
How to make an excellent tomato sauce for meatballs
1. First of all pour the tomato pulp in a high-sided saucepan, rinse the jar adding 3 fingers of water to the pulp to dilute it.
2. Blend well with the help of a mini pimer, in a few seconds you will get a velvety sauce.
3. In a large pan (keep in mind that they must cook the meatballs side by side and not one on top of the other) place the peeled and slightly crushed garlic cloves together with the oil.
4. Let it fry for about 1 minute, until both parts of the segments are browned.
5. Then add the tomato sauce. Turn and let cook for a few seconds, without boiling.
6. Finally add the meat balls side by side:
7. Let it cook over low heat for 10 minutes with the lid, after the indicated time, stir the pan to turn the sauce and with the help of a spoon, pour the boiling sauce on the surface of the meatballs still a little raw.
8. Close the lid and cook for another 5 minutes.
9. Only after the indicated time, open the lid again, turn the meatballs with the help of two forks and let the cooking continue over medium heat without a lid.
10. Finally add salt and cook for another 10 – 15 minutes until the meatballs are completely cooked. In this phase, the sauce should slightly dry and the meatballs cook to perfection, check the heart of your meatballs with a fork to make sure they are cooked.
11. Here are your meatballs with tomato sauce ready to be served:
Keep the meatballs in the sauce
In the fridge for 3 – 4 days, you can heat them in the pan at the moment by adding a little water. Or you can freeze them.
Season the pasta with the meatball sauce:
- Separate the meat balls from the sauce, but be careful not to leave them completely dry. place them in a warm place.
- Instead, leave the sauce in the large pan.
- Fill a large pot with plenty of water and salt.
- Place on the heat and lower the pasta when it comes to a boil.
- Drain al dente and place the pasta directly in the pan where you left the sauce and place on the heat just before draining the pasta.
- Skip a few minutes and if you like add some Grana Padano or Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.
- Also add the meatballs in this phase, turn everything to mix well and serve your pasta with the meatballs in hot sauce.
Recipe and pictures by: https://www.tavolartegusto.it/ricetta/polpette-al-sugo/