Here is the amazing Italian pastry , the Sfogliatella. From Naples, one of the most famous Italian pastries.
- 1 1/2 c. flour (add more if needed)
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 c. butter (cold)
- 1 c. ice water
- 3/4 c. melted butter or
- 1 lb. Ricotta cheese
- 2 tsp. milk
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1 tsp. grated orange peel
- Combine Ricotta, milk, egg, sugar and vanilla and run through sieve.
- Add orange peel. Store in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Sift together flour, sugar and salt in a bowl.
- Mix in cold butter with fingers.
- Gradually add enough ice water to hold ingredients together.
- Toss on lightly floured board and knead about 8 minutes or until dough is smooth.
- Cover and set aside in cool place 1/2 hour.
- Divide dough into four even parts.
- Roll out each piece with rolling pin on lightly floured board, making rectangular sheets about 20-inches long.
- If necessary, pull and stretch dough with hands while rolling, to make tissue thin and almost transparent.
- Brush each sheet and place sheets on top of each other.
- When four sheets are piled up, brush top with melted butter or shortening.
- Let stand 5 minutes, then roll tightly as for jelly roll.
- Roll in waxed paper. Set aside 30 minutes or more in refrigerator.
- With sharp knife, cut roll into 1/2-inch slices, which will resemble narrow rolls of ribbon.
- Place on board or platter, cover with towel and set aside 15 minutes in cool place.
- Place each slice on palm of left hand.
- With right thumb on center of roll, gently press through slice so that it forms a ribbed cone; make sure that ribs do not become entirely separated.
- Carefully work around cone with thumb and index finger until it is well shaped, 3-inches across mouth and 1/2-inch at tip then press tip together.
- Fill each cone with 1 heaping tablespoonful of filling.
- Flatten cones slightly between palms of hands; place on lightly buttered cookie sheet; bake in a preheated moderate 375 degrees oven about 30 minutes or until cakes are golden color and crisp and filling is firm.
- Remove from oven, cool, dust with confectioners sugar.
- Serve your Sfogliatella.