The Italian sausage and pepper burgers. Nothing says “Holiday” like a Burger!
- 1 large onion – sliced
- tomato paste – to taste
- 12 oz Italian sausage – hot
- 8 slices provolone or mozzarella – your choice
- 4 panini – sliced
- 1 red, yellow or orange bell pepper – seeded, thinly sliced
- 12 oz Italian sausage – sweet
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbs pesto – to taste
- salt, pepper, garlic powder – to taste
- Heat oil in a large skillet over, medium-high heat and add the onions and spread around the pan.
- Toss in the peppers, sprinkle with a little salt, pepper and garlic powder and stir to combine.
- Stir in a little tomato paste and cook all until the onions and peppers are tender.
- Remove from the heat.
- Remove sausage meat from casings and blend together in a bowl.
- Form into 4 patties. Either grill on your outside grill or broil inside in your oven.
- When sausage burgers are ready, top each with cheese and continue to cook just until the cheese starts to melt.
- Spread the rolls with a combination of the pesto mixed with the mayonnaise, top with the burgers, spread the peppers and onions on top and Bon Appetito!
- Serve with Cole Slaw or Potato Salad and you have a picnic!