This Italian prosciutto and cream fettuccine recipe is a scrumptious way to combine the two.
Try to get a top-quality prosciutto for this wonderful sauce as well as fresh pasta, either homemade or store bought fresh pasta.
- 1-cup heavy cream
- 1/4 lb prosciutto, cut to 1-inch long strips
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg yolk
- salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 1 T butter
- 1 lb fresh pasta, homemade or store bought
- Cook pasta.
- While pasta cooks, mix the cream, ham, 1/2 cup Parmesan, egg yolk and a few grinds of the pepper mill in a large bowl till smooth.
- Place sauce in a heavy pan and warm over very low heat, stirring quite frequently, about 3 minutes.
- When pasta is done, drain, reserving 1/4 cup cooking liquid.
- Transfer the just drained past to a warm bowl.
- Add the butter and toss well.
- Now, pour the cream sauce over the buttered pasta.
- If not moist enough for your taste, add a tablespoon of cooking liquid for desired moisture.
Alternatively, use a large enough pan for the preparation of the sauce and transfer pasta directly into the pan, which is the way I prefer to do it.