An authentic Italian recipe from our kitchen to yours.
|Servings: 6 – 8|
Total time: 40 min.
– 8 large eggs
– 2 large potatoes
– 2 yellow onions
– 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
– 1/3 cup Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, grated (optional)
– Roasted red peppers (optional; find our recipe here)
– Salt and pepper
1. Peel the onions and slice them into thin strips.
2. Peel and rinse the potatoes. Cut them in half, lengthwise, and then cut the potatoes into slices.
3. Preheat your broiler on your oven to high.
4. Place a large, broiler safe skillet (preferably nonstick or well seasoned cast iron) on the stove over medium high heat and add the olive oil and the sliced onions. Sauté the onions until they begin to turn translucent.
5. When the onions are translucent, add the potatoes to the pan. Cover the skillet and cook for about 5 – 8 minutes, sautéing occasionally.
6. While the onions and potatoes are cooking, break the eggs into a mixing bowl. Add to the eggs, a pinch of salt and pepper as well as the Parmigiano if you are using it. Whisk the eggs well until the yolks are broken and thoroughly combined with the whites.
7. Uncover the potatoes and onions and sauté once more. Then carefully pour the beaten eggs into the skillet over the potatoes and onions.
8. Use a fork or spatula to evenly distribute the potatoes and onions throughout the eggs.
9. Cover the skillet, lower the heat to medium and let the frittata cook for 12 – 15 minutes, checking it at least once to make sure it is cooking through and not cooking too fast.
10. After about 15 minutes, uncover the frittata. If the eggs have not begun to cook through, turning an opaque yellow on top, continue cooking on the stovetop until they begin to turn opaque on top and the edges of the frittata around the pan begin to brown. At that point, place the uncovered skillet with the frittata onto the middle rack in the oven and broil the frittata for another 6 – 8 minutes or until it is a nice golden brown on top.
11. When the frittata is finished cooking, remove it from the oven and top with a few of the roasted bell peppers and additional grated Parmigiano.
12. The frittata can be served hot or at room temperature.